Ted Deutch (D)
Ted is a native of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, a graduate of the University of Michigan and the University of Michigan Law School, and an attorney with the Florida law firm of Broad and Cassel. He lives in Boca Raton with his wife of 18 years, Jill, and his 3 children. Deutch, 43, was elected to Florida State Senate district 30 in November 2006, covering parts of Palm Beach and portions of north Broward County. Currently he is Vice Chair of the Senate Committee on Regulated Industries and on the Policy and Steering Committee on Ways and Means. Ted lists the several awards on his campaign website, including the Harry S. Truman Scholarship, the James and Marjorie Baer Leadership Award from the Jewish Federation of South Palm Beach County, and the Florida Education Association’s Champion of Public Education Award. He also highlights his work on two initiatives in the Fl. legislature: ‘“Protecting Florida’s Investments Act,” which mandated that the retirement funds of Florida workers could not be used to support Iran’s illicit quest for nuclear weapons or aid genocide in Darfur, and he authored the “Protecting Florida’s Health Act,” a public health initiative that will reduce youth smoking through an increased surcharge on tobacco products.
- Economic Recovery – mortgage reform, worker retraining for green economy, loan modifications for mortgages, a guaranteed living wage, affordable and secure heath care, and secure retirement, COLA for seniors,
- Education – no unfunded federal mandates, less emphasis on testing, more funding for head start, pre-K and after-school programs, incentives for teacher recruitment and training
- Healthcare reform – lower costs and increase competition, protect seniors, drug reimporation from Canada, increased funding for NIH
- Environment – confront climate warming, opposes offshore-drilling, for preservation of Everglades
- Energy – independence from fossil fuels, green energy technology, gov’t investment in wind, solar and ocean energy proposals
- Foreign Policy – crippling Iran sanctions, keep ‘force’ option on the table; withdraw from Iraq; supports current plans in Afghanistan, stronger cooperation w Israel, PA must negotiate w/o preconditions, isolate Hamas
- Principles – Supports Roe V Wade, gay marriage and adoption, hate crimes legislation, renew ban on assault weapons and additional laws on ammunition and weapon identification
Ted Deutch has been endorsed by Congressman Wexler, WPB Mayor Lois Frankel, and Kendrick Meek – who is running for US Senate, along with those of Congressmen Klein, Hastings and Wasserman-Schultz. Except, perhaps, for his views on foreign policy, he is liberal and views the government as a solution for most issues.