Tami Donnally A “Common Sense” Candidate

It is very apparent to many of us that Forida’s future is bleak unless we address three areas:  Education, the budget, and business.  As a common sense candidate, I plan to address each of these- with a common sense approach.  Let’s start with education.  While Palm Beach County has some excellent Choice programs available, it seems that they are available for only about 18% of our student population – the motivated, talented, smart students, and the struggling, challenged, disabled students.  We need comprehensive plans that will offer alternative plans for the “average” students as well.  Many states are incorporating programs (and with great success), that look very different than the standard classroom situation that we all remember.  I support more Choice options, more Charter Schools, and Voucher programs.  More about the other issues later…

Comments

8 Responses to “Tami Donnally A “Common Sense” Candidate”
  1. Austin Parris Parris85 says:

She’s right, education does need to be a big focus for Florida, on this we agree very much.

2. Sean says:

We were close to providing every Floridian with a good education for a great price, until Crist came along. With the unexpected increase in-state I am ashamed that I ever campaigned for Crist. I am sure Tammy and Austin would agree that every American deserves to be healthy and educated. We must no longer keep it a privilage, vochers and charters and choice is second to the disaster area we have seen most public schools become. I find it typical for a Republican candidate to speak of vouchers and so forth without addressing a concern or way forward for our public institutions. Republicans cannot consistantly speak for the rich or privialged due to the history of our downfall, if the election where to take place today the Democrat would win because all I can hear from Republicans is the same B.S. that got us in this situation. Thank Crist and Rubio for me Tammy.

3. Joe Wellingtonian says:

Let me start by saying that there is much more that can and should be said other then what is in this comment. I, personally, as well as the majority of the population would only hope to see that a candidate would have “common sense”. My motive for the previous statment is that if todays society has come to advertising “common sense” as a qualification and/or quality to get votes, we are all heading down a one way path to destruction. If anything, you are extremely degradeing the people who may vote for you. What I mean by this is that if you advertise something as common sense to the people, you are basicly implying that they do not have any. “Vote for me, I have common sense and you do not; I am qualified”. What a great candidate, not. I actucally checked my calender after seeing your page; nope, not April fools. You have mentioned that an education program is only offered to the “motivated”. Is this a problem? Why don’t you use some of that common sense you talk about and offer it to the unmotivated, do you think they will have the motivation to do anything with it? Nope, they will still sit around doing nothing, wow, just put you in the boat with the rest of us people lacking common sense. Looks like we wont be seeing you on the ballot, now that your common sense has been discredited you are no longer qualified. Your a joke. Good luck, April fools.

4. EdFulop EdFulop says:

Sean —

I can’t speak on behalf of Tami or Austin, but I feel I can represent the Constitution for a few lines in this thread, and I am also acquainted with the difference between rights and priviledges; neither good health nor an education a right. What you feel we might “deserve” because we are Americans is irrelevant. It would be just as easy for someone to say that every American deserves to have a full belly, so it is a right to eat. “Grocery stores and restaurants be damned!”, I could say, “I’m hungry, and eating is my right as an American.” Heck — I might just bring a suitcase and inflatable mattress with me the next time I go to Publix. Why go home? Maybe I could have the government buy me one of those Lark scooters, so I can pull right up to the food line at Carving Station or Crazy Buffet, and eat right from the trough! After a few months, I could say “Gastric Bypass Surgery and Liposuction is my right! I’m an American! We’re the greatest nation on the planet, and as a citizen, I deserve it!” I could go on and on like this, but I think I’ve made my point here. The only rights you have are those given you by God, according to Natural Law, and they are protected by the Constitution. A republican (small r, not Republican) government should do nothing more than protect those rights for its citizens. Everything else you mention above is a want or priviledge. If you value these wants, and they don’t break any laws, you have the right to contract with individuals or entities to provide those goods or services to you at a pre-arranged cost, and it is no one’s business but your own. As to your line about who would win if the election were held today . . . . well, I think you’d better check your facts . . . .

• Thank you EdFulop. Great comments.

• Austin Parris Parris85 says:

Now I hope moderators won’t jump on me for this one(that’s a joke guys), but Ed I do have to throw in a slight correction here. The Florida Constitution (Article IX, Section I) does list an adequate provision for education for everyone as a “fundamental value” of the state. Many states do this, most notably in the Kentucky Supreme Court Case that lead to the KER Act, reforming school funding and fixing disparities in per student funding by county. Here is a link to that amendment: http://www.flboe.org/ClassSize/pdf/amendment.pdf

While the federal constitution is not as broad in listing rights for the purpose of limitation on the central government’s reach, if Thomas Jefferson had his way, it would list Education as a Constitutional right for Americans. Yes, it is overall a privilege as concerned in the FEDERAL Constitution, but remember that I view education as a State’s right, not as the federal government’s jurisdiction. It is my understanding that since the Constitution did not list certain expanded rights such as education, marriage rights, etc, that under the 9th and 10th amendments those things are reserved to prioritize or not for the states themselves.

Essentially, I fundamentally believe, like Thomas Jefferson, that a general education provided to all “to a certain extent” (still need to earn college) is necessary and paramount to the preservation of our country. Thomas Jefferson’s words are as follows: Educate and inform the whole mass of the people… They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty.

It is my responsibility as the next representative of District 85 to make sure that the generations that follow are provided with a sound foundation to pursue the American Dream of self-reliance, the opportunity to succeed or fail based on one’s OWN efforts, and the opportunity to start all over if that doesn’t work. That responsibility is fulfilled by doing these things:

1. Understanding how the system currently works and what needs to be changed and why. (I’m well qualified for this since I spent every single year of my education in the Florida public school system in PBC, including taking FCAT several times).

2. Prioritizing the important subjects as follows in no particular order: Math, reading, science, and CIVICS. Civics education as a whole is missing and needs to be reinstated.

3. Keeping in mind the mentality of the student, and what it was like to just recently be taking these tests, enduring this system, and how well it translates over into the college system, which I am currently in, and what we need to change to streamline those things.

That being said, I think a debate on education plans would be a great idea, and if we can’t get one scheduled in the next couple months, I’d certainly like to extend the invitation to do it online between Tami and I.

5. EdFulop EdFulop says:

Let me start by urging a little decorum here amongst our fellow 9.12’ers — candidate or not, we are all intitled to our opinions, and our motivations to serve each other and on what level is our own. Austin — I humbly bow to your superior understanding of our state’s Constitution. Although it is still identified, as you put it (and those framers, for that matter), as a “fundamental value”, rather than a “right” — as in right to bear arms, or right of freedom of religion — this is just semantics, and I stand corrected.

While Jefferson might have agreed with the intent of a state government providing an education for its citizens, I’m betting he’d want things like the Pledge of Allegiance and prayer in schools, and would frown on Title 1 funding, guidance counselors distributing condoms, and metal detectors at the entrances. From the standpoint that a child between 4 and 18 can go to school rather than be forced to dig for diamonds in the mines beneath the Temple of Doom with Short Round, it is a priviledge my parents always made sure I didn’t take for granted.