PBC Commission on Ethics Selects Alan S. Johnson as Executive Director

Here’s the press release from Palm Beach County.  Southflorida 912 members who attended this public meeting were Shannon Armstrong, Dennis Lipp and Iris Scheibl. Unfortunately, we weren’t there for all of the interviews – but did sit through the selected Executive Director, Alan Johnson.  He was the clear choice amongst all of us in the peanut gallery as well. ED Interview

Interviews for the Inspector General will be conducted over a two day period – May 4-5 and will also be open to the public.

Comments

8 Responses to “PBC Commission on Ethics Selects Alan S. Johnson as Executive Director”
  1. It was good to be apart of this and I am glad that Alan Johnson was picked he interviewed well, has a lot of experience and was a Great Choice! Please read the article and try to watch for the IG interviews on May 4th and 5th

2. David Z. Eunice David Z. Eunice says:

I would like to know how to reach Alan Johnson to report crimes of Racketeering and Extortion in the Village of Palm Springs.

I would also like to know how to reach individuals in Palm Beach County who are interested in knowing more about bad the bad govenment in the Village of Palm Springs, and how we can work together to get good government.

There are too many people who are willing to let the little Sharks get away to grow up and be bigger more dangerous to us as they grow their way up…to full fledged Politicians; or even if they stay in those little ponds behind our house.

I have proof of the Corruption… for anyone who is interested in knowing more. Call David 1-386-734-8532 or 748-2201 and lets talk. or email me at deuniqued@gmail.com and I’ll show you what I mean.

Let me know if I can post pictures on this sight depicting the crimes I am talking about.

• South Florida 912 South Florida 912 says:

The county website has an entire section for the Commission on Ethics, the Inspector General’s office, and other related materials. It can be found at: http://www.co.palm-beach.fl.us/ethics/ On that page can be found the number for reporting “waste, fraud and abuse” within the county government: 877-283-7068.

Serious matters of public corruption for which you have proof should be reported to law enforcement. One channel to consider is the Public Integrity Unit (PIU) of the State’s Attorney’s office. Their PIU Tip line is 561-355-7491, or they can be reached via email at PIU@sa15.state.fl.us or visit:

You may also consider the Miami office of the FBI at (305) 944-9101

Public corruption is a serious matter – we would welcome a post on this subject after you have gone through the official channels and have a resolution that you can discuss.

3. Dont Drink the Kool Aid Don't Drink the Kool Aid says:

Although I appreciate any effort made to reduce corruption and increase the ethics of our local governments, all I can say about forming another level of an already bloated bureaucracy, is not good. Do we know for sure that this committee is not loaded with a corrupt politician’s political favors? And who or what is going to insure that this commission will do its job? If we the people find fault with the ethics commission findings, won’t it make it that much more difficutl to dislodge the corrupt person who received a slap on the wrist from the commission, when jail time would have been the appropriate outcome? I guess we’ll need additional taxes to pay for these jokers, huh? Remember: a govenrment big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have. Think about it.

• South Florida 912 South Florida 912 says:

The Ethics Commission was chosen from Community Groups and is chaired by a former Judge. A citizen’s panel (including a member representing South Florida 912 and South Florida Tea Party) has been involved with the selection process from day 1. The Selection Committee also includes the State Attorney and the Public Defender. As government transparency goes, it doesn’t get much better than this. I suggest you look into the history of this body and get your facts straight. Funding for the ethics bodies comes from a .25% surcharge on county contracts.

4. Dont Drink the Kool Aid Don't Drink the Kool Aid says:

TO: South Florida 912

I find your response interesting, considering I was asking questions and not stating facts. I was trying to get a lively consersation going. Once a bureaucracy like this is started in a place like Palm Beach County, don’t you think it will continue to grow and demand more and more resouces and do just enough to keep getting the more and more funding from the county like everything else we pay for? If this Commission doesn’t work to the people’s liking, what do we do to disband it or are we going to pay dearly for the rest of our lives? And laslty, I will ask again, are we sure this commission won’t be loaded with political favors? Let me expand that last sentence to include special interests. Do you think bigger government is the answer?

• South Florida 912 South Florida 912 says:

Point taken. Having been involved in the development of the ordinance I may have acted a little defensive. The IG and Ethics Commission was a response to the abuses of the past that got us the reputation as “corruption county”. There are checks and balances built into the ordinances – on the one hand to make the IG independent of the County Commission, yet still having a process to remove an IG that “goes rogue”. The Commission is an unpaid body and will likely have a small staff in addition to the Executive Director. The IG office will probably be bigger, but the expectation is that it will be self-sustaining. The setup borrows heavily from the Miami-Dade model that has saved or recovered many times the dollars that the office costs. No political system is totally immune from special interests, but in my opinion this one has a lot of potential because the ordinance has built in a natural tension between the Ethics components and the BCC and staff.
      For more information, you can read the history of the IG campaign and the 912 involvement in it by searching on this site for “Inspector General”.

Bigger government is almost never the answer. Fighting for smaller government is actually a key part of the 912 agenda. Sometimes you have to hire a watchdog though, to protect your interests. Join us in the fight against the sales tax increase: http://nonewsalestax.org

5. David Z. Eunice David Z. Eunice says:

Thank you for responding earlier. I am sorry it took me so long to get back with you. You may note how late it was the evening I posted on the 29th of April. I have had my plate full for the past month and found the http://leadershippbc.org/ethics web page today by accident as I was looking for my Corruption in the Village of Palm Springs Face Book page. It was only after I found them that I found this page again.

I have to thank you both for responding and having the conversation about this ethic’s issue.

It is late today and I have an evening dinner meeting to attend shortly, so I will have to try the web pages you mentioned later… but I absolutely want you to know that I appreciate you interest. I will not be drinking the cool aid while waiting for someone to take a positive step to have the Village of Palm Springs Resolution 2005-42 enforced.

Nor will I believe a Politician signing an Ethic’s Promise means anything to them. I see that Vice Mayor Joni Brinkman and former Vice Mayor Bev Smith both signed… and yet neither have taken an opportunity to do anything about the Racketeering I’m reporting; and have reported to both of them numerous times. Joni said there is a perception of Extortion and Racketeering in the Village of Palm Springs… WRONG… there is clear and defining evidence of Extortion and she is part of the problem… as are all of the Palm Springs leadership who have allowed it to continue.

I am willing to show you the evidence so you can decide for yourself if you believe what I am saying. Write me at deuniqued@gmail.com and I will respond. Or you may call me at 1-386-734-8532 or 748-3302.

Thank you again for your interest and your assistence.

David Z. Eunice